Peng WEI [CV]
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (by courtesy)
Department of Computer Science (by courtesy)
School of Engineering and Applied Science
George Washington University
I am an associate professor in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at the George Washington University, with courtesy appointments at Electrical and Computer Engineering Department and Computer Science Department. By contributing to the intersection of control, optimization, machine learning, and artificial intelligence, I develop autonomy and certification tools for aviation, aeronautics and aerial robotics. My current focus is on safety, efficiency, and scalability of decision making systems in complex, uncertain and dynamic environments. I am leading the Intelligent Aerospace Systems Lab (IASL). I am an associate editor for AIAA Journal of Aerospace Information Systems. I serve as the chairman of the AIAA Air Transportation Systems Technical Committee. I received my Ph.D. degree in Aerospace Engineering from Purdue University in 2013. Here is my latest CV.
- Oct. 2022, I am elected to AIAA Associate Fellow.
- Oct. 2022, I received the GW SEAS Outstanding Early Career Researcher Award.
- Aug. 2022, I co-organized the AI Safety and Certification Workshop for Aviation Systems with Aerospace Industries Association (AIA). The participants include experts from the FAA, NASA, Stanford University, MIT Lincoln Lab, MITRE, Boeing, Collins Aerospace, Honeywell Aerospace, Joby Aviation, Xwing, Reliable Robotics, Wisk, Merlin Labs, Northrop Grumman, General Atomics Aeronautical Systems.
- Jul. to Aug. 2022, I was invited to do a 1-month research visit at Ecole Nationale de l'Aviation Civile (ENAC) in Toulouse, France. I also had chances meeting with colleagues from ONERA, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), EUROCONTROL and OpenAirlines.
- Jul. 2022, I was elected to serve as the chairman of the AIAA Air Transportation Systems Technical Committee.
- Jun. 2022, I was invited to visit TU Delft Faculty of Aerospace Engineering in Netherlands.
- May 2022, I was promoted to the rank of associate professor with tenure.
- May 2022, our students headed to their summer internships and visits: Shulu to Airbus, Abenezer to Mathworks, Wei to Amazon, and Ellis to Cranfield University.
- May 2022, Abenezer, Ellis, and I visited NASA Langley Research Center for our NASA SWS project.
- Jul. 2021, I received the NSF CAREER award "Safe and Scalable Learning-based Control for Autonomous Air Mobility".
800 22nd St NW
Washington, DC 20052
Tel: (202) 994-0895